Komodo Dragon Facts
- The Komodo dragon is the largest and heaviest living lizard in the world.
- Komodo dragons eat almost any kind of meat.
- Komodo Dragons are easily confused with crocodiles, in fact: They are called the “Ora” or land crocodile by locals.
- They are able to grow as long as 10 feet and weigh about 300 pounds.
- They are able to see prey and other objects as far as 985 feet away.
- This monitors hunting strategy is very simply, it will go for the feet, and bring down the prey. Then it will rip it to pieces.
- People believe that there are now only 4000 Komodo’s left on the planet.
- The saliva from a Komodos mouth contains a host of deadly bacteria.
- In the wild, there are about 4 times as many male Komodos as females.
- A Komodo will go through about 4 or 5 sets of teeth in his life.
- The dragon is able to eat about 80% of its weight in one meal.
- These dragons can run just as fast as we humans can, up to 11 miles an hour, but they tire quickly.
- Once a female lays her eggs, she never comes back to check up on them.
- Young Komodo Dragons are able to climb trees, to help protect them, and to feed.
- The Komodo Dragons ancestors date back over 100 million years.
- The Komodo Dragon has a long life expectancy of about 50 years.
- These Dragons have no natural enemies, the greatest threat they face is from other dragons, and of course, us!
- An old belief of the Chinese was that the tail of a dragon, when ground into powder, was a powerful medicine. Some thought that it could even stop a person from growing old!
- Komodo dragons are pretty cool and pretty amazing
Komodo Dragon Videos